Monday, November 28, 2011

Project 9 for - Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media Mapmaking


This is one of the projects that I have done from Jill K. Berry's book - Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media Mapmaking. I am fortunate to also be a contributing artist for Jill's book. (I won't be posting my art that is included in her book on my blog). The project from her book is called Pop-up Memory Map.

I am interested in totem animals. On May 20 on our way home from the cabin Mark and I seen these animals cross the road in front of us in the order indicated on the map. I looked up the meaning on the internet for each of these animals and included that on my map.

After some time away from the map and looking at it with fresh eyes I realize that these animals represent the stages in my married life:
Rabbit - Ability to procreate, fleetness and movement by leaps. This certainly describes the first years of my marriage. I had three children within four years of my marriage. We went from renting an old farmhouse to an apartment to our starter home ...
Deer - a new innocence and freshness is about to be awakened - Getting to know my husband and children and what I am capable of doing.
Squirrel - Balance within the circle of gathering and giving out - This certainly describes what being mother and raising her children is all about.
Snapping Turtle - Honor the creative source within, longevity, ability to grasp opportunities. Now that my children are all grown up and out of the house this is what I need to work on. And Mark, sorry for snapping! (It's just a phase I'm going through).

What if I had seen the snapping turtle first in my married life?

The process of creating art is like that for me, it heightens my personal awareness. Jill's book is a wonderful way to jump start your creative journey!

1 comment:

Jill Berry said...

I LOVE this Kim, I did not know the story behind it. Your married first years were the opposite of mine. The rabbit for me would have come ten years later!

All the maps are in the library show, even the ones not in the book. Very cool.