Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Book made in Shanna Leino's Workshop



I finally finished the book that I started in Shanna Leino's Workshop at Valley Ridge Art Studio last November. Rather than etching for surface design I worked the metal by hammering the design onto it. I found this process extremely rewarding for me and look forward to developing it more in the future. Shanna fabricates her own chasing tools and I would like to learn yet another skill. She is an excellent teacher and would recommend that you take a class from her if you ever have the opportunity to.

The focus of this class was hinges and hasps. Shanna had the book boards and pages pre-cut for us. We assembled the books in the first day of class.


The second day of class we started making the hasp. We were all encouraged to make the hasp in our own style. The raven was calling to me once again.


Earlier in Fall I watched the crows eat pears from our pear tree, thus the inspiration for the second part of the hasp. Shanna said the goal was to have enough tension that the hasp stays hooked until you squeeze the book slightly to release it.


I also made pear shaped book bumps and corners to protect the cover. The last two corners are what took me so long to finish, because of procrastination rather than complication.

5 comments:

heather noye said...

Beautiful!!! I just love how the crow is both design and utilitarian! what a cool way to make the latch! Great job :)

Ann Renee Lighter said...

What a fabulous book! I love the materials and how you incorporated the bird into the hasp.
Simply wonderful in all respects!

Jill Berry said...

this is spectacular Kim, as I have come to expect from you. Wowie, I want to grab it and RUN! What I would give to have a nice long play date with you.

Kim Rae Nugent said...

Thank you to all! I would love to have a play date with you too Jill!

Jill Marie Stange said...

The book is absolutely gorgeous! The pics don't do it justice...it is even better in person!