Monday, April 16, 2012

Dragonfly–Copper Electroforming

DSCN4714

Lately I have been experimenting with the process of copper electroforming. This was a dragonfly that I found a couple of years ago (It had already passed on). I didn’t have any idea of how I was going to use it at the time. The dragonfly was quite challenging and actually took a few days to complete. I am happy with the end result.

DSCN4715

Another view to show the detail captured in the wings. For some reason I keep wanting to add antennas to this insect, which they don’t have. It’s called the butterfly effect…

DSCN4716

A view of the underside. I had originally tried to retain the legs. They were too delicate and looked like a crumpled wad without definition, so I took a grinder to them and electroplated the body again.

I also added a ring so that I can incorporate this into a necklace. Stay tuned to see the final piece!

No comments: