Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sue’s Dollhouse

DSCN4692

About 20 years ago I made this dollhouse for my Mother-in-law Sue for Christmas.

While looking through some pictures with her one day I seen one of her as a little girl with a dollhouse similar to this one. Sue remarked that she wished she still had the dollhouse…

Last weekend I brought it home. My mother-in-law had passed on last September, coincidently on my mother’s birthday. I wondered what the universe was trying to tell me.

I gave it a fresh coat of white paint last week. The house is over 20 years old after all. It wasn’t as much fun as the first time I painted it, with anticipation of a gift I was about to give.

DSCN4696

For Christmas’, birthdays, and other occasions I gave gifts of dollhouse furniture and accessories. Other family members did too. Sue wallpapered the rooms.

DSCN4694

She added the front porch light.

DSCN4693

Sue’s grandchildren played with the house when they visited. I had hopes of great grandchildren playing in it too! Perhaps some day at my house. The house seems lonely to me these days.

There is still work to be done. The molding was never installed inside around the windows and doors. Perhaps I'll add a few family photos. I would like to find the picture of Sue and her original dollhouse and incorporate that somehow too. I’ll share more of this house in the months to come, perhaps along with a few dreams and hopes too!

No comments: