Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gourdon the Gourd Doll

This is the gourd doll that I made for Art Doll Quarterly's Call for Creativity. Gordon even landed himself a full page photo stylist spread in the magazine! I always like to try challenges that help to get me out of my box. I don't understand why artists would want to limit themselves to a specific medium. I am routinely told "Oh, I couldn't make that, I am a ______ artist". I have found that techniques or compositions that are learned in other mediums often lead to new ideas in your primary medium. Not that I think everyone should try making a gourd doll, but I encourage you, when the opportunity arises to try a medium that takes you out of your comfort zone.

Doesn't Gourdon look happy? I shaped his teeth with a dremel (kind of felt like a dentist).


To see my gourd doll and read the article you can find Art Doll Quarterly, Autumn 2007 here.

No comments: