Sunday, December 18, 2011

More Maps of Possibilities - Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media Mapmaking

Behind the pages look -
This is the bottom view of the Map of Self Discovery, a map that is included in Jill K. Berry's book Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media Mapmaking. I thought you might like to see this view of the nesting cone maps, as they were not included. They are compass roses etched in three different medals.

I often do a lot of research to develop my ideas for a piece of art. I like to record this process in my art journal. Click on pictures for larger view.

All of the writing on the left side of the page and above the transparency on the right side are taken from various web sites on the internet. From the transparency on down I am starting to develop my own ideas. The transparency is the actual pattern that I created for the etched brass cartouche of the map.

Further working out my idea for the symbolism that this map incorporates.

Sometime in the future I will feature this map on this blog as I think it is one of the most symbolic and important pieces of art that I have created so far.

For now it is available to see in Jill's book Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media Mapmaking along with my condensed thought out explanation of the map.

No comments: