Thursday, May 1, 2008
I recently finished these two Ravens. They are from a series of 7 monoprints. They were printed from the inked plate after several stencils had been made first. The backgrounds are opposites. One printed with images on an inked plate, the other printed with images removed from the inked plate. I cut out shapes, used feathers and string. The backgrounds were made without anything specific in mind. I had drawn a crow using the same technique as the chameleon. I chose these backgrounds simply because I had used feathers on them. It was really interesting how they seemed to fall into place with the design of the crow. Because of their placement I decided to make it look like the crow had it's feet on them. I then used colored pencils to to color in the crow and bring out and hide features in the background. In future posts I will show how my other crow monoprints developed using different backgrounds and stencils. This process shows a great depth of layers.