Sunday, November 27, 2011

Project 11 for - Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media Mapmaking

This is one of the projects that I have done from Jill K. Berry's book - Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed Media Mapmaking. I am fortunate to also be a contributing artist for Jill's book. (I won't be posting my art that is included in her book on my blog). The project from her book is called The Right Place at the Right Time. While mapping out our pets, my family and I enjoyed reminiscing about all of the animals that have lived at our place. Creating this map provided a nice trip down memory lane!

I decided to map out the pets that we have had since living in our present house. It was always a dream of mine to live on a hobby farm. The gold colored shed is the first shed that we had. We actually moved it from our previous house which is less than 1 mile away. This shed housed 1 chicken, 2 cats and six goats. With our expanding herd of goats we built the gray pole shed. The increase in shed size led to an even greater increase in goat herd size! The most pets we have had at one time including house pets was 25. This was when my kids were younger and lived at home so was the "right time" to have many pets. Three of the goats were rehomed but I found that I didn't have the heart to break up anymore goat families after that. All of the rest of the pets have lived out their lives here. I think that it is important that if you buy a pet or are responsible for bringing them into the world that you should look out for their welfare until they pass on. This month our last goat passed on. I am sad!

My hobby farm is currently composed of one of the original cats and the original chicken. They are both 16 years old. I'm not sure what my dream is now! The current plan is we are done with outside animals for now. We also have 4 boston terriers who are house dogs. They don't even like to venture outside in the Winter!

Next I want to map the pets I had as a child and the houses we lived in prior to this one.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: