Friday, May 25, 2012

Virginia Cast Ashore – Assemblage

 

DSCN4968

An original etching from an antique book was the starting inspiration for this assemblage. I purposely left the title Virginia – From ”Paul and Virginia” visible to add to the assemblage story.

This image conjures up several possible scenarios for Virginia of why she is laying in the water at the edge of the beach. Has Virginia washed ashore from a shipwreck?  Did her lover Paul set sail on a dangerous voyage and poor despondent Virgina has flung herself into the water in desperate pity? What scenarios can you think of?

 

DSCN4966

Next I found a shadow box frame in my stash. I like that the natural finish doesn’t compete with the delicate lines of the etching. Items that you may find washed ashore on a beach such as a sponge, driftwood and shells were added. The starfish bridges three dimensional items to the two dimensional etching.

This assemblage is available at my Etsy shop RAEvN’s Nest here.

No comments: