Friday, October 11, 2013

TEN – Call to Artists - Day 6

 

IMG_1297

Day 6  for the TEN art challenge for Creative Studios https://www.facebook.com/elblockcreative

I think that my assemblage needs a finial on the top. Which one do you prefer?

 

IMG_1294

 

IMG_1295

 

IMG_1296

 

IMG_1298

 

IMG_1299

I haven’t made my decision yet.

 

IMG_1287

Next I need to create a metal piece to hold the glass paperweight onto the wooden substrate.  So I draw and cut out a loose paper pattern of what I want, just to get an idea how it would look.

 

IMG_1288

I need to convert a 2 dimension pattern into 3D.  This gives me ideas of how various curved flames will work.

 

IMG_1286

Instead of starting from scratch each time, I decide to draw a precise master template to work from. I make copies of the ephemera that I am going to incorporate and tack these in place. Quite a difference from the first pattern.

When I am pleased with the design I print a copy of the master template.

 

IMG_1289

I cut the copy out, fold it and place over the glass paperweight and wood base.

 

IMG_1290

I contemplate how the curves and and placement looks on each side.

 

IMG_1291

Some parts are redrawn and cut differently.

 

IMG_1292

Now is the time for changes. It’s only paper!

 

IMG_1293

No matter how much planning I do, I know that the translation always looks different in metal. 

Then I take this pattern and place it over the master template tracing the corrections.

 

IMG_1286 (2)

The pattern is ready!

The next day is going to involve A LOT of sawing!

1 comment:

Jill Berry said...

It is great to see your process here, since I cannot see you in person right now. I am interested in watching this turn into the metal you make look so wonderfully easy, I just know it is not. I vote for finial #2.
xoxoox